PROPYLENE GLYCOL IN SKINCARE
Why do skincare formulas contain Propylene Glycol?
Specific skincare formulations contain Propylene Glycol because of its unique properties:
- Solvent: It can dissolve ingredients that are difficult to mix, ensuring a smooth and consistent product.
- Humectant: It draws water from the air and binds it to the skin, which helps maintain moisture and hydrate the skin.
- Enhances Product Absorption: It can help active ingredients penetrate the skin more effectively.
- Texture Enhancer: It gives the product a better feel and makes it easier to spread on the skin.
Benefits of Propylene Glycol in skincare formulations:
Stability: Helps to maintain the stability of formulations, ensuring that products remain effective for a longer period.
Carrier for Active Ingredients: PG often serves as a vehicle or carrier for many active ingredients, facilitating their delivery to the skin.
Improved Efficacy: By aiding in the penetration of other ingredients, it can make the overall product more effective.
Moisturization: As a humectant, it helps retain moisture in the skin, ensuring it remains soft and hydrated.
Safety of pharmaceutical-grade Propylene Glycol:
Pharmaceutical-grade Propylene Glycol is of the highest purity and is made to meet rigorous safety standards. It has been widely studied and verified as safe and beneficial in skincare formulations and even food products.
It's essential to distinguish between industrial-grade and pharmaceutical-grade Propylene Glycol. The latter, which we use, is suitable and beneficial for personal care and has been reviewed and approved by authoritative bodies such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Fiume MM, Bergfeld WF, Belsito DV, et al. Safety assessment of propylene glycol, tripropylene glycol, and PPGs as used in cosmetics. J Am Coll Toxicol. 2012;31(3_suppl):286-319.
- Fisher AA. Reactions to propylene glycol. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 1973;15(11):896-898.
- The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology:
Use their search function to find peer-reviewed studies and articles related to Propylene Glycol or other skincare ingredients.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
For specifics on skincare and cosmetics, navigate to their site's "Ingredient" section and use their search function to look for Propylene Glycol.
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR):
You can search their ingredients database for comprehensive safety assessments on numerous ingredients, including Propylene Glycol.
- World Health Organization (WHO):
Navigate to their publications or database section to search for specific information on substances.
Understanding myths in context:
We live in an age of abundant information, but not all is accurate. While it's essential to be cautious about what we apply to our skin, it's equally crucial to differentiate between myths and facts. Like many substances, the context is vital: dosage, concentration, and purity matter. For example, even water can be harmful in excessive amounts.
DermExcel formulations contain Propylene Glycol in minimal, safe concentrations designed for maximum benefit and no risk.
DermExcel formulations aren't your typical over-the-counter solutions. Our products result from rigorous research and development led by expert pharmaceutical scientists and industry veterans. With abundant knowledge and a commitment to staying at the forefront of scientific advancements, our scientific team ensures that every ingredient, including Propylene Glycol, is used in precise, safe concentrations designed for maximum benefit and zero risk.
As a medical-grade skincare company, our ingredients' purity and standard are paramount to us. But our commitment to excellence doesn't stop at formulation. Each DermExcel product is crafted within a state-of-the-art pharmaceutical manufacturing facility, stringently regulated by the pharmacy council, ensuring adherence to the highest safety and quality standards. This dedication to good manufacturing processes distinctly distinguishes us from generic cosmetic offerings or products with ambiguous ingredient purity and manufacturing standards.
When you choose DermExcel™, you're not just opting for skincare; you're entrusting your skin to a legacy of pharmaceutical excellence and innovation.