- Product details
- FDA Monograph
- Clinical Trials
- Mode of action
- Face Sponge
A hypoallergenic, medicated daily cleanser that controls redness, flaking, irritation, and itching. It contains maximum concentrations of FDA-approved Pyrithione Zinc Pyrithione, an antibacterial and antifungal agent. This cleansing formula gently lifts away and removes impurities while leaving the complexion feeling refreshed and tranquil.
Full ingredient list
Aqua, Polyethylene Glycol, Coco-Glucoside, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Zinc Pyrithione, Phenoxyethanol & Ethyl hexyl Glycerin, Acrylates Copolymer, Triethanolamine, Coco-Glucoside & Glyceryl Oleate
Zinc pyrithione has antibacterial properties and is effective against many pathogens from the Streptococcus and Staphylococcus genera.
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Atopic dermatitis
- Acne and conditions related to yeast / fungal infections
- Body breakouts
- Tinea versicolor
Click here to be directed to the comprehensive clinical trials page
Zinc Pyrithione has broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity: Not only does it inhibit and reduce the burden of Malassezia on the skin, but it also targets gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, as well as other fungi that cause ringworm, athlete's foot, and jock itch.
Zinc Pyrithione disrupts iron distribution across the yeast wall and effectively starves the yeast of some of the critical processes important in its respiratory function.
Zinc Pyrithione penetrates the hair follicle where Malassezia resides and has a unique slow-release ability. It persists in the top layer of skin even after rinsing off the product. Therefore, it imparts long-lasting control and sustained release of anti-yeast coverage and suppression of the Malassezia yeast overgrowth.
The yeast, fungi, and bacteria do not develop resistance towards Zinc Pyrithione. Consistent application of Zinc Pyrithione will, therefore, result in continuous antimicrobial activity.
Chandler, C J, and I H Segel. “Mechanism of the antimicrobial action of pyrithione: effects on membrane transport, ATP levels, and protein synthesis.” Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy vol. 14,1 (1978): 60-8. doi:10.1128/AAC.14.1.60
More information and clinical data are listed here.
Facial / Body application:
- Slightly wet your fingers. If you apply Medi-Zinc to your face, make sure to not wet your face before application. This will cause the product to run into your eyes and it will sting.
- Keep the product in contact with your skin for at least 5 min. This will allow the product to penetrate the follicles to reach the Malassezia optimally.
- Apply Medi-Zinc to the affected areas in the morning and/or evening, unless otherwise suggested by your treating doctor or clinical advisor.
Continue treatment once / twice daily until clearance of symptoms and then for at least one week after.
Because yeast, fungi, and bacteria do not develop resistance towards Zinc Pyrithione, you can continue to use Medi-Zinc cleanser on a regular basis even after symptoms have cleared.
Consistent application of Zinc Pyrithione will result in continuous antimicrobial activity.
- Wet hair, massage Medi-Zinc onto the scalp.
- Keep the product in contact with your skin for at least 5 min., but most preferably 10 min for best results. This will allow the product to penetrate the follicles to reach the Malassezia optimally.
Continue treatment once daily until clearance of symptoms and then for at least one week after.
After the above treatment regimen, apply Medi-Zinc to the scalp at least once per week for continuous relief.
Make sure that the product has good contact with the skin. Lather the areas you would like to treat and keep the product on the skin for at least 5 min, but most preferably 10 min for best results. This will allow the product to penetrate the follicles to reach the Malassezia optimally.
Repeat the application nightly for at least 3-4 weeks. Within this timeframe, you will start to experience positive results as the Zinc Pyrithione controls the Malassezia overgrowth.
To keep the Malassezia yeast from returning, make sure you have enough Zinc Pyrithione hanging out in the skin around the problem areas. Do not stop your treatment after all the signs and symptoms have cleared up. Problem areas should be in contact with Zinc Pyrithione at least once per week. Always remember the 5-10 min skin contact rule.
The FDA has approved Zinc Pyrithione as very safe and effective. There is no harm in continuing to use the Zinc Pyrithione daily. Bacteria and the yeast on your skin will not become resistant to it, so there's no reason to stop using it.
Receive a free Microfibre Face Sponge with any 175ml DermExcel cleanser.
Reactions that may occur include stinging or burning or skin irritation.
Follow the below guidelines to manage initial irritation reaction:
- Use only in the evening. Rinse face with clean water in the morning.
- Apply cleanser on wet face. This will help to decrease the potency. Do not apply over your eyes.
- Keep the cleanser on for shorter periods. Gradually increase the timeframe, as your skin becomes more tolerant.