We will be donating 100% of all Breast Cancer awareness cap sales to Breast Cancer Support. www.breastcancersupport.co.za
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and is recognised internationally all over the world to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.
Apart from non-melanoma skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women of all races, with a lifetime risk of 1 in 35 in South Africa, according to the 2007 National Cancer Registry. That is a scary statistic!
A local, Pretoria-based Breast Cancer Support Group that first started in 2015.
They had a long-held vision of providing support and education for women during breast cancer diagnosis, which has led to the support group.
Over the years, the demand for support increased, which led to their registration as a formal NPO with the Department of Social Development and with SARS as a Section 18 A tax exempt status Public Benefit Organisation.
Their mission is to educate, support and empower women across South Africa with information relating to this breast disease.
- Ensure you check your breasts each month. For easy instructions on how to do this, download the Know Your Lemons Breast Health App HERE
- Ensure that you visit your wellness practitioner for an breast check up at least once a year (more if you have a history of cancer in the family).
- Once you reach the age of 40, ensure you have a mammogram each year – don’t skip it!
- Spread the word! The more women who are doing self-checks, the lower the risk. Breast cancer, if caught with early detection, can be treated, with survivors going on to live happy, healthy lives.
- Get invloved. Visit cansa.org.za to find support groups or non-profit organisations that need your support.